Maryland Overweight/Oversize Permits

Maryland Overweight PermitsPermit Types

Obtain Maryland oversize/overweight permits by calling (888) 799-8858.

1. Single-Trip Permit – Valid for 9 days.

  • Special Hauling

2. Multi Trip Permits

  • 30-Day Blanket – GVW: 90,000 lbs., 12’ wide, 14’ high, legal length
  • Annual Blanket – GVW: 90,000 lbs., 12’ wide, 14’ high, legal length
  • 30-Day Blanket Baltimore City – GVW: 90,000 lbs., 12’ wide, 14’ high, 85’ length
  • Annual Blanket Baltimore City – GVW: 90,000 lbs., 12’ wide, 14’ high, 85’ length
  • 30-Day Continuous Travel – Farm Products Only
  • Annual Continuous Travel – Farm Products Only
  • 30-Day Exceptional
  • Annual Exceptional
  • Containerized Cargo
  • Heavy Weight Port Corridor Containerized Cargo

OPERATING TIME: Moves for loads up to and including 150,000 lbs. GVW, 13’ wide, 14’6″ high, and 90’ long, may move 24/7. All other loads are one-half hour after sunrise and one-half hour before sunset. No Sunday travel is permitted.

BALTIMORE CITY: Authorization for the predefined route into or out of Dundalk Marine Terminal is now included with the Maryland state permit provided the dimensions are under 120,000 lbs., 12’ wide, 14’6″ high, and 85’ long. Loads with other Baltimore destinations or origins, or loads exceeding these dimensions, have to be ordered separately from the City of Baltimore, which usually comes with a 24-hour (minimum) turn-around time.


  • 8’6″ Interstate & designated highways
Weight: 80,000 lbs. gross weight

  • Single – 20,000 lbs.
  • Tandem – 34,000 lbs.
  • Tridem – 42,500 lbs.
Height: 13’6″ (over 13’6″ not permitted on flat-bed).
  • 53’ for a semi-trailer on Interstate and designated highways
  • 48’ for a trailer all other roads
  • Trailers over 48’ are not to exceed 41’ from the kingpin to the center of rear tandem axles, and not more than 4’ set back from the front of the trailer to the kingpin
  • 65’ overall for automobile/boat transporter
  • 28’ for double trailers
  • 3’ front
  • 6’ rear


Length: 120’
Height: 16’ (overheight cannot be permitted on a flatbed trailer). Over 14’6″ requires a route survey.
Weight: 120,000 lbs. (non-Interstate) to 150,000 lbs. (Interstate)

  • Single – 27,000 lbs.
  • Tandem – 52,000 lbs.
  • Tridem – 63,000 lbs.
Width: 16’

Loads exceeding these dimensions are treated as super loads. Over 120,000 lbs. gross on any non-Interstate and 150,000 lbs. on Interstate routes are considered superloads.



Over 85’ – 1 rear escort

Over 140’ – 2 escorts (front and rear)


Over 14’6″ – 1 escort with a high pole. A route survey must the accompany application.


13’-14’ – 1 escort unless the load is a manufactured housing unit.

14’-16’ – 2 escorts (front and rear)

over 16’ – 1 police escort


Over 120,000 lbs. – 1 escort

Over 150,000 lbs. – 1 police escort

Montgomery and Prince George Counties: loads over 12’ wide on 2-lane undivided – 2 escorts


“Wide Load” or “Oversize Load” signs are required if the vehicle and load exceed 9’ in width, front and rear. The sign must appear in black letters not less than 10″ high, with a brush stroke not less than 1 5/8″ wide. The letters must appear on a yellow background, 18″ high and 7’ wide on the front and rear of the vehicle load. You must display red or orange fluorescent flags during daylight hours at least 18″ square fastened by at least one corner on a staff placed at the widest extremities instead of flags; two red lights must be displayed on a rear overhang exceeding 4′, indicating the widest part of the overhang and one on each side of the load.


From noon Friday to 9:00 a.m. Monday, no movements across any toll facilities are permitted. This restriction is also applied to all of I-95 from Baltimore to the Delaware line. Loads over 12′ wide or 92,000 lbs. can only travel on the Capital Beltway I-495/I-95 and Baltimore Beltway I-695 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday (and Saturday until Noon). Travel is only permitted on highways 14′ wide or wider from 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (and Saturday until Noon on any highway). No travel on six major holidays and holiday weekends (check with the permit office).

You can also obtain any trip and fuel permits you may need with our sister site!