Trip Permits

Trip Permits

You need a trip permit for your truck when traveling to a state in which your vehicle is not registered. If your vehicle has IRP registration, however, it does not require trip permits. A trip permit allows a commercial or private carrier’s temporary registration in a state municipality where the carrier is not assigned (province or state listed with weight on cab card).

Therefore, trip permits grant you the ability to operate your licensed trucks on public highways.

Please note that your truck is considered to be unlicensed if:

  1. The current gross weight of the vehicle is not enough to carry the load.
  2. The vehicle tabs have expired.


Vehicles that qualify for Trip Permits

Any 1 vehicleUp to three permits may be issued in any 30-day period.
Any 1 recreational vehicle (travel trailers, motorhomes, campers and camp trailers)Up to two permits may be issued in a one-year period.

Please Note: Trip Permits are only for vehicles traveling on highways. It means that you cannot get a trip permit for off-road and non-highway vehicles.


How Can I Use a Trip Permit?

All trip permits are valid for 3 days starting from the first day of use.

  • You have to complete, sign, and date the trip permit prior to vehicle operation.
  • Any correction or change of data on the trip permit makes it invalid.

When Do I Need a Trip Permit? 

You need a trip permit when you drive from your base province/state into another municipality in which you are not registered or apportioned. In addition, your truck must meet these requirements:

  • The gross vehicle/combination is more than a registered weight of 26,000 lbs.
  • The vehicle is traveling on 3 or more axles.
  • You operate a commercially licensed vehicle in California, Arizona, or Connecticut regardless of its number of axles or weight.
  • Operating a commercially licensed vehicle in Nevada in excess of 10,000 lbs.

Get Your Trip Permit with

If you need to obtain a trip permit and are looking for a reliable agency to help you, is here. We are an agency that helps truckers get their trip permits. Our team of professionals understands how to assist truck drivers and get them back on the road safely and securely. For further information, contact us at (888) 799-8858 or fill out the free quote form on our webpage. We look forward to helping you.