Nebraska Overweight/Oversize Permits


Oversize permits in Nebraska are valid for ten days. You must have a permit prior to entering the state.


One-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset, including Saturday and Sunday. Overweight-only can travel continuously.


Width: 8’6″
Height: 14’6″
Weight: 80,000 lbs. gross weight

  • Single – 20,000 lbs.
  • Tandem – 34,000 lbs.
  • Tridem – 42,000 lbs. on designated roads, 34,000 lbs. on all other roads
  • 53′ semi-trailer and load
  • 65′ combination (multiple) trailers and load

Poles, pipes, beams, utility poles and other construction materials are exempt from permits for length or rear overhang.

To permit for overweight, the tractor should be registered for at least as much as you wish to permit, or for 94,000 lbs. to permit for that much or more. For divisible loads exceeding 80,000: You can exceed 80,000 lbs. gross without a permit on state highways as long as you are legal on all axle/group weights and you are licensed for at least the amount of your gross weight. However, if you plan to travel on any Interstate route, you will need to get an Interstate Use Permit.


Width: 16′
Height: Depends on overhead structures. Over 16′ requires a route survey.
  • Single – 20,000 lbs.
  • Tandem – 40,000 lbs.
  • Tridem – 60,000 lbs.
Length: No set limit. If over 85′ long on interstates, a light bar must be affixed to the rear of the trailer.

Over 16′ in width or height, over 100′ length, or over gross 150,000 is a superload.


When Escorts are Needed

(Note: In Nebraska, the rear escort must maintain a minimum of 300 feet distance from the rear of oversize/overweight vehicle)

On All State Highway System:

Length over 100′ Requires 1 escort
Width over 12′ Needs 1 escort
Height over 14’6″ Needs 1 escort in the front, depending on the route and load
Height over 16′ Needs a pre-route survey and a high pole car
The Department of Roads reserves the right to require an escort vehicle for the front and rear of overdimensional vehicles or loads at any time the Department determines it to be necessary for safety purposes.
*On an Interstate or 4-lane divided highway, an alternative light bar attachment may be allowed in lieu of an escort. Must have oversize signs on the front and/or rear and four (16″) red flags on four corners + two 6″ revolving amber lights at the rear and a revolving amber light on top of the tractor.


When the width of the load exceeds 10′, “Oversize Load” signs are required on both the front and rear of the vehicle. When the load exceeds 12′ in width, flags of at least 18 square inches are required on all four corners of the vehicle. A rear overhang of 4′ or more must have a red flag measuring at least 12 square inches during the day and a steady burning red light visible for at least 200 feet at night. Overlength or over 4′ rear overhang can run at night with a steady-burning red light.


On weekdays from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m., and Saturdays and Sundays after 12:00 noon, no travel is permitted on state highways (except I-80) in both Lincoln and Omaha. On Cornhusker football home game Saturdays, travel on I-80 in the Lincoln area is restricted between exits 395 and 409, and the state highway system is closed to permit travel from the Iowa state line to Nebraska 14 and from the Kansas state line north to Nebraska 91. The Nebraska permit office is closed on state holidays, including Arbor Day (the last Friday in April). Travel restrictions apply on major holidays and holiday weekends.

You can also obtain any trip and fuel permits you may need with our sister site!