Utah Oversize/Overweight Permits


Oversize permits are valid for five days in Utah. You must have a permit prior to entering the state. Permits can also be purchased at state line POEs or at interior ports if the driver calls ahead for permission (phone numbers are on the Utah provision sheet).


One-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset, including Saturday and Sunday, plus the following exception: Loads not exceeding 10′ wide, legal height, 92′ overall length, and 10′ overhang may travel on all highways 24 hours a day, seven days a week, with proper lights (marker lights indicating extreme width, amber lights at the front and center of the load, and red lights at the rear), lights and flags on rear overhang exceeding 4′.


Width: 8’6″
Height: 14′
Length: 53′ semi-trailer on designated highways
  • 3′ front (tractor)
  • 6′ rear
Weight: (Gross weight is 80,000 lbs.)
  • Single – 20,000 lbs.
  • Tandem – 34,000 lbs.
  • Tridem – 42,500 lbs.

Divisible Loads Exceeding 80,000: You can order a permit to exceed 80,000 gross on state highways and Interstates as long as you are legal on all axle/group weights and you are prorated at 80,000 pounds for Utah.


Width: 17′ (Bulldozer blades over 16′ must be removed; can be hauled on the same load).
Height: 17′ 6″
Length: No set maximum. If the road can handle the length it will be permitted.
Weight: Gross Weights

  • 5 axles – 100,000 lbs.
  • 6 axles – 136,000 lbs.
  • 7 axles – 148,500 lbs.

(Depends on axle spacings and configurations)

Axle Weights:
  • Single – 29,500 lbs.
  • Tandem – 50,000 lbs.
  • Tridem – 61,750 lbs.

Loads in excess of these dimensions are reviewed on an individual basis. Over 17’6″ in height requires documentary clearance proof from utilities, city, and state signal divisions and municipalities.


When Escorts are Needed:

On All Secondary Highways:

Width 12′ – Needs 1 escort (1 front)

Over 14′ or more – Needs 2 escorts (Front & Rear)

Over 17′ – Needs 2 escorts + 1 Police vehicle (Front and rear)

Length 105-120” – Needs 1 escort

120-175′ – Needs 2 escorts

175-200′ – Needs 2 escorts and 1 police vehicle

Over 200′ – Needs 2 escorts and 2 police vehicles

Height  Over 16′ – Needs 2 escorts (Front & Rear w/height pole)

Over 17’6″ – Needs 2 escorts and 1 police vehicle (Front and rear)

Overhang Over 20′ – Needs 1 escort
On 4 or More Lanes:
Length  Over 120′ – Needs 1 escort

Over 175′ – Needs 2 escorts and 1 police vehicle

Over 200′ – Needs 2 escorts and 2 police vehicles

Height Over 16′ – Needs 2 escorts  (Front & Rear)

Over 17’6″ – Needs 2 escorts and 1 police vehicle

Width Over 14′ – Needs 1 escort

Over 16′ – Needs 2 escorts

Over 20′ – Needs 2 escorts nad 1 police vehicle

Overhang Over 20′ – Needs 1 escort


Signs must be 7 feet by 18 inches on a yellow background with ten–inch high black letters painted with a one and five-eighths–inch stroke to read OVERSIZE LOAD in accordance with the Federal Highway Administration Standard Alphabet Series C. Front signs may be mounted on the front bumper or on top of the vehicle cab. Rear signs should be positioned at the rearmost part of the vehicle or load, or, if not feasible, as far back of the rear of the vehicle cab as possible. The load must not obstruct the view of the sign. The bottom edge of the sign must not be less than five feet nor more than seven feet above the road surface. An overhang of 20′ or more must have a rotating, flashing, or oscillating amber light mounted at the end of the overhang and at least 4′ above ground level.

See the Operating Time section above for lighting during permitted night moves.


Loads wider than 10 feet, taller than the legal height limit, or longer than 105 feet are prohibited from 6:00 AM to 9:00 AM and 3:30 PM to 6:00 PM. Monday through Friday in the following counties: Box Elder–all highways south of exit 357 of I-15 (Perry Interchange); all highways in Weber, Davis, and Salt Lake counties; and in Utah County, all highways north of SR75-Exit 261 of I-15 (Ironton) and SR68 MP 16. Holiday travel is not allowed during major holidays, holiday weekends, and on Pioneer Day (July 24th). Check with the permit office for updated holiday restrictions.

You can also obtain any trip and fuel permits you may need with our sister site!