Massachusetts Oversize/Overweight Permits

Massachusets Overweight PermitsPermit Types

Call (888) 799-8858 for Massachusetts Oversize/Overweight permits.

1. Single Trip Permits

  • Non-Reducible Single Trip
  • Cask non-reducible
  • Non-Reducible Intermodal
  • Modular Homes
  • Self Propelled Equipment
  • Superload – 135′ or longer, 15′ or higher, 15′ or wider, 130,000 lbs. or heavier

2. Multi-Trip Permits

Maximum Dimensions for Vehicle-Specific permits:

  • 6 Month Intermodal – A limit up to 88,000 lbs weight.
  • Boat (Annual) – 11’6″ width, 80′ length, 130.000 lbs weigh, can travel only on I-90 or/and State Roads.
  • Construction Equipment (Annual) – 12′ width, 80′ length, 130,000 lbs. Travel restricted to I-90 and State Roads.
  • Fire Truck Government (Annual) – 12′ width, 70′ length, 130,000 lbs.
  • Self Propelled Crane (Annual) – 12′ width, 95′ length, 130,000 lbs., can travel only on I-90 or/and State Roads.
  • Special Hauling Explosives (Annual)
  • Special Hauling Fuel (Annual)
  • Tandem Trailer Special Hauling (Annual)
  • Reducible (Annual) – Trucks carrying the following materials may only travel on I-90 or/and State Roads:
  1. Asphalt
  2. Bulk feed
  3. Concrete
  4. Construction materials
  5. Fuel, gravel, and sand
  6. Hazardous Liquid in tankers
  7. Refuse
  8. Salt
  9. Logs/Lumber
  10. Mulch
  11. Non-Hazardous liquid

PERMITS: Massachusetts Overweight/Oversize Permits are valid for five travel days. You must have a permit prior to crossing state lines.

OPERATING TIME: Generally, vehicles under 12′ wide and under 14′ high may travel from Monday morning 12:01 a.m. through noon on Saturday and Sunday from 12:01 a.m. until noon. Vehicles between 12′ and 14′ wide, over 13’11” in height, and over 80′ long (but not over 114′ long) are only permitted for travel sunrise to sunset Monday through Friday except no travel allowed between 7:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m. or between 3:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.

Legal Dimensions

Width: 8’6″
Height: 13’6″
  • Single axle – 18.000 – 22.400 lbs
  • GVW on Interstate – 80.000 lbs
  •  Single Motor Vehicle – 40′
  •  Semitrailer – 53′
  • 3 ft. front
  • 4 ft. rear


Width: 15′
Weight: GVW – 130.000 lbs
Length: 135′
Height: 15

Loads exceeding these dimensions are treated as Superloads.
Over 130,000 pounds gross requires an engineering company survey of structures. This can cost thousands of dollars, depending on the route and structures.


Escorts are Needed On All Highways:

  • At 80′ – 1 escort
  • Over 100′ – State Police escort (need 48-hour notice) unless they exempt it
  • At 12′ – 1 escort
  • Over 18′ – 2 State Police escort (need 48-hour notice). The state may require a second escort for some routes
Height: A route survey may be required for over 13’ 6″ high. The escort is not usually required for height.
  • Over 15′ – 1 escort
  • On a 2-lane undivided highway, 2 escorts are required if overhang exceeds 15′ and width is over 12′


An “Oversize Load” sign is required for the rear end of an oversize vehicle. Therefore, vehicles with this sign do not require escorts. Please mount red flags on extremities and corners for any over-width/over-length vehicle. For all O/D loads during nighttime hours, a flashing amber light must be in operation above the highest point of the vehicle. The amber light must be visible from the front and rear of the vehicle.


No travel is allowed on major holidays, and some holiday weekends. Routes 95 and 93 in the Boston area are restricted to travel only between 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

Massachusetts Turnpike: Between the NY line and I-95, no permit is required up to 10′ wide, legal weight, and up to 80′ long. Turnpike permits are issued for vehicles and loads up to 12′ wide, 13’9″ high, 80′ long, and up to 99,000 pounds.  (Lower limits apply to the Sumner, Callahan, and Ted Williams Tunnels in the Boston area.) Permits to exceed these dimensions on the Turnpike require special engineering approval plus a $350.00 fee. Vehicles/loads over 12′ wide, over 100′ long, or over 130,000 gross requires a police escort.

Call (888) 799-8858 to Obtain Massachusetts Oversize/Overweight permits.