Indiana Overweight/Oversize Permits

Indiana Overweight PermitsPermit Types

  1. Single Trip Oversize/Overweight Permits – Valid for 15 days
  2. Annual Oversize Permit
  3. Toll Road Gate Annual Permit
  4. LNG / CNG Overweight Fuel Annual Permit
  5. Quarterly Oversize Permit – Valid for 90 days
  6. Bulk Milk Permit
  7. Special Weight Permit – Registration for special weight is required

Obtain Indiana overweight/oversize permits permits by calling (888) 799-8858.

Operating Time

Permitted vehicles up to 110′ in length, 10′ wide, and 13’6″ high and less than 200,000 lbs. can travel continuously 24/7. Loads over 110′ long, 10′ to 14’4 wide, and up to 15′ high may travel seven days a week from one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset. Loads between 14’4 and 16′ wide, Monday through Friday from one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset. Once loads exceed 16′ wide, 15′ high, or 200,000 lbs. are usually allowed to move from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, but other provisions may apply.

Toll Road

The maximum dimensions without a state permit are 12′ wide, 14’6 height, 53′ trailer length, and load, 90,000 lbs. gross weight. This is for routes/loads using only the toll road. Larger vehicles can use the toll road with a state permit and an extra $50 special permit charge. Weight charges are taken care of with a state permit. Loads over 10wide are restricted to daylight hours only. Loads up to 12wide are permitted to run on weekends, with the exception of certain holidays. Toll charges are by the number of axles and miles. Running the toll road from Gate 21 at Portage to the Ohio state line with a legal weight load less than 12wide costs around $30.00. Escort requirements are the same as for other Indiana divided highways.


Width 8’6″
Height 13’6″
Length: Single Motor Vehicle – 40′

53′ semi-trailer and load (including overhang); kingpin to rear axle not to exceed 43′.

Double Trailer – 28’6″

Overall length – No set limit.

Weight: 80,000 lbs. gross weight:

Single – 20,000 lbs.

Tandem – 34,000 lbs.

Tridem – 51,000 lbs.

Overhang: No set limit.  Trailer and load length may not exceed 53′.



Width: 16′
Height: 15′
Length: 110′
Weight: 120.000 max

Gross Weights Axle Weights
 5 Axles* –108,000 lbs. Single – 28,000 lbs.
6 Axles* – 120,000 lbs. Tandem – 48,000 lbs.
Tridem – 60,000 lbs.

*These depend on spacings.


Loads exceeding these dimensions or the weight limit are considered superloads.

Applications for loads over 16wide need a detailed route survey. Loads over 15high require a pre-qualified signal contractor/utility bucket truck to accompany the load on any non-Interstate routes. Loads over 17high also require a route survey and a utility company letter if overhead lines must be moved.

Escort/Pilot Car Requirements

Height Width Length Weight
Exceeding 14’6″ – 1 escort with a high pole Over 12’4″ – 1 escort on all highways Over 110′ – 1 escort Over 200,000 lbs. GVW – 2 escorts needed
Over 15′ – Requires a utility bucket truck except on Interstates Over 14’4″ to 17′ – 1 escort on dual lane divided highways, 2 escorts on other roads Over 130′ – Front and back police escorts are required
Exceeding 18′ – 2 escorts & state police Over 17′ – Front and back police escorts are required on all roads


Signs, Flags & Lights

Flags are required on the extremities of all oversize vehicles or loads and all protruding objects. “Oversize Load” signs are required on loads that are more than 10′ wide, 14’6″ high and/or 75′ long. All oversize/overweight permit loads must display an operable oscillating, rotating, or flashing amber light or lights on the tractor. The size of the light (s) is not specified, but it must be visible from both sides and the front and must be strong enough to be seen for at least 500 feet in the daytime. When the light’s visibility is blocked from the rear, and for loads longer than 80′ or combinations longer than 100′, a second light is required, mounted 10′ from the rear of the object and as high as possible over it.

Restricted Travel

No travel allowed on major holidays and holiday weekends.

You can also obtain any trip and fuel permits you may need with our sister site!